Thursday, March 3, 2011

FIDE Women's Grand Prix - Doha

What is this I just read at The Week in Chess about " the battle between Dzagnidze and Humpy Koneru for the right to play Hou Yifan later in the year for the Women's World Chess Championship."  What?  When did this happen?  Hou Yifan just won her title only a few months ago!  Now FIDE has dreamed up a NEW FORMAT for the Women's title after giving them dog-feed for years with a knock-out format?  And a "match" is going to happen this year?  Say what?  Goddess!  If I were Hou Yifan, I'd be mightily pissed off.

I don't claim to be the best informed chess fan in the world but this - I don't recall reading a single word about anything like this being in the works!  I'm going to have to scout around and see if I can find out anything about how and when this happened.  It's shocking news to me, that's for sure.

Anyway, the Doha version of the Grand Prix (FIDE calls it the 6th Women's Grand Prix) will wrap up play on March 5th.  Here are the current standings:

There are two more rounds to go! This is getting very exciting! Here are the match-ups for tomorrow and Saturday:


Can anyone catch Danielian?  Good for her, by the way.  I'm happy to see a veteran of many years on the chess circuit doing so well in Doha!  Viva la mature femmes! 

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...